Andrew Earles

Big Book Idea. No Market.

Posted in Uncategorized by Andrew Earles on March 29, 2007

The latest chapter in I DON’T GET IT.

I just checked my “Book Proposals” folder and yep, I did remember to name an empty file, “The Truth About Outsider Artists.” If I start giving away pump organs to every rambling maniac that panhandles me, will that guarantee a glut of delusional documentaries in the year 2040? When taken as a whole, the music of Jandek (a perfectly sane man with a perfectly fascinating story, yet he makes perfectly pointless music), Wesley Willis, Daniel Johnston (a wonderful visual artist), and especially Wild Man Fischer has produced exactly five interesting songs, and they all come from Johnston.

About these ads

8 Responses

1. buffcoat said, on March 30, 2007 at 7:44 am

What about “Cut the Mullet?”

2. Reed said, on March 30, 2007 at 9:20 am

You sir, are in no position do decide what is art and what is not. ‘Tis far too fashionable to dismiss Jandek these days. Daniel Johnston? Sheeesh. Outsider Art for Dummies.

3. Andrew Earles said, on March 30, 2007 at 5:54 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! YES!!!!!! Also, at which point did I disagree with your Daniel Johnston quip? And what position are you in, sir?

4. Reed said, on March 30, 2007 at 8:23 pm

point taken.

5. jensen said, on April 4, 2007 at 12:44 am

Yeah, I should really stop beating the drum of Wildman Fischer, can you send me some Gaunt and Movieola 10″ discs? Now that’s seriously challenging angular dissonant-yet…whoops…just barfed in my mouth. You don’t get WMF for the same reason for which you cannot dance. Sure there’s tons of crazies making outsider music and all of it is better than Small Factory…all of it.

6. Andrew Earles said, on April 4, 2007 at 9:23 am

I’ve never liked any of those bands. Not even in 1994, when they were active. Shot here, target over there.

7. Cono said, on April 5, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Yeah , who cares? But I must know ……what did WM Fisher lift from
    Johnston ?

8. Andrew Earles said, on April 6, 2007 at 8:28 am

Nothing. That’s not what I was communicating. Take another read.