Andrew Earles

Where am I with The Wire?

Posted in Uncategorized by Andrew Earles on January 28, 2008

It’s eight-thirty on Monday morning and I am currently On-Demanding (my verb) #55, the episode that officially airs on 2/3. I like the new season (final, btw) trick of preceding each episode with a warning of “Adult Content” and “Adult Language” – no more, no less. The subtle exclusion of “Violence” or “Graphic Violence” prevents viewers from becoming savvy to any important murders, which the season has been (predictably) full of. I won’t give anything away re: this episode, aside from saying that Dead Meadow make a cameo, a really silly Clay Davis “Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii……..” scene, more Steve Earle, and McNulty continues to piss me off. And I’ll say that things are moving fast.

6 Responses

1. The Contrarian said, on January 28, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Sweet. We watch tonight.

2. The Contrarian said, on January 29, 2008 at 7:23 am

In addition to Mr. Davis’ “sheeeeeeeeeeeit,” I also counted two utterances of “What th. . .” — also known as the Mark Trail Special.

3. Miles said, on January 29, 2008 at 11:45 am

The best show on TV ?
    Really? I like it fine but when did passable drama become so stellar ?

What of the ability of art/media to ratchet it up during adverse political/social climates ?

Supposedly the musical developments of the sixties counterculture and the eighties hardcore scene both can be considered a reaction to the times.
    And here we are in a state one could deem ‘even worse than Reaganomics’. And The Wire is the best we got ?

…the best show ?
    Really ?

I kinda wish they had done another new slate of characters like the early series transitions.

And no, the newsroom scenarios do not count.

4. Mike said, on January 29, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Does Steve Earle have Shakey Head syndrome? Watch him next time. He can’t seem to keep his head still in a scene.

Also, weren’t you surprised when Omar turned into Spiderman?

5. Patrick said, on January 31, 2008 at 9:05 am

Why is McNutty (as Bubbles calls him) pissing you off?

6. Miles said, on January 31, 2008 at 3:12 pm

When did McNulty decide it was OK to let his real accent slide on every other line?