The Dumbing of the Underground: A 40-Year History (a very brief excerpt from my upcoming 7,432-page, 20-volume text)
“As a bit of an expert on Punk Rock – having listened to it, played it, recorded it and released it, for a few years now – I will say that GALLOWS ARE THE PRESENT AND FUTURE OF PUNK. I’ve been signing and breaking punk bands since the 80s’s and give my personal avowal with heartfelt conviction that this band is nothing less than the return of bonafide ass kicking heart ripping fist pounding authentic PUNK FUCKING ROCK.” -Brett
The foreplay is not needed, just go ahead and rip off the ‘Human Suit Version 2003 Graphic Designer’ and start devouring audience members. Watch this YouTube link:
A LIMITED NUMBER OF PERSONALIZED COPIES
OF HUSKER DU: THE STORY OF THE NOISE
POP PIONEERS WHO LAUNCHED MODERN ROCK – NOW
AVAILABLE FOR $6 OFF THE COVER PRICE!
THAT’S $18 PPD FOR A BRAND NEW, 1st ED SIGNED COPY
WITH A HANDWRITTEN SENTIMENT (UP TO 2 PARA-
GRAPHS) CONVEYING WHATEVER STRIKES ME AT
THAT MOMENT. IT CAN BE ADDRESSED TO THE
PURCHASER OR THEIR MECHANIC, GARDNER,
PERSONAL ASSISTANT, SIGNIFICANT OR INSIGNIFICANT
OTHER, PET, SPONSOR, MUSE, ARCH NEMESIS, BOSS,
FUTURE KILLER, ETC.
How does this happen?
PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT firstname.lastname@example.org and allow me to get an idea of who I’m dealing with, then we just let Paypal do its magic.
DISCLAIMER: YOUR $18 WILL NOT GET YOU:
1. A TAPED-SHUT COPY OF MY BOOK THAT HAS BEEN HOLLOWED OUT AND CRAMMED WITH LIVE CRICKETS
2. ARRIVAL BY WAY OF A CARRIER PIGEON
3. COMMENTARY IN THE MARGINS OF EVERY PAGE…ATTACKING YOUR CHARACTER
4. DELIVERY OF THE BOOK TO YOU OR TO THE EVENTUAL RECIPIENT – THIS GOES FOR LOCALS AS WELL. SORRY, YOU MUST USE PAYPAL LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD. THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO SAVE ON THE POSTAGE THAT I’M NOT CHARGING IN THE FIRST PLACE. THAT TAKES US TO….
5. A BOOK IF THE ORDER INCLUDES ANY FORM OF HAGGLING. IF YOU ATTEMPT TO LOW-BALL ME, THEN RESPOND TO MY SILENCE WITH “OH, OK, I GUESS I’LL PAY THE $18…” WELL, DON’T SEND IT, OR THE $18 WILL BE REFUNDED TO YOU. WHAT NEITHER ONE OF US CAN GET A REFUND FOR IS THE TIME THIS LITTLE SLAP IN THE FACE HAS PERMANENTLY DEVOURED.
6. THE LUXURY OF DICTATING A HUMOROUS PASSAGE OR ANECDOTE FOR ME TO PHYSICALLY WRITE IN YOUR BOOK. MY BOOK; MY WORDS. IT WILL BE SO MUCH BETTER THAN ANYTHING YOU WOULD HAVE REQUESTED, TRUST ME.
7. RANDOM HOUSEHOLD CRAP USED AS PACKING MATERIAL (DO I LOOK LIKE A MEMBER OF CAROLINER RAINBOW TO YOU?)
[RECENT PRESS/PRESS THAT'S NEW TO ME]
Seattle’s KEXP blog ranked Husker Du: The Story of the Noise Pop Pioneers Who Launched Modern Rock as one of the top four “proto-post-punk” books of 2010. It’s also one of the four “proto-post-punk” books of 2010!
As of this writing, Husker Du: The Story of the Noise Pop Pioneers Who Launched Modern Rock ranks as follows:
#42 out of the Top Selling 100 in Books > Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Rock
#3 out of the Top Selling 100 in Books > Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Punk
#61 out of the Top Selling 100 in Books > Entertainment > Music > History & Criticism
Lastly, I will be promoting and signing my book at the 2011 SXSW Conference in Austin, TX. Perhaps you’ve heard of it. It will more than likely be in “book store” section of the convention center on Friday, March 18th, 2011, and I will more than likely be accompanied by Grant Hart. He was Husker Du’s drummer/co-founder/co-songwriter and Husker Du figures prominently in the book I am promoting. A week and one day later (Saturday March 26th @ 1:00pm) I will be appearing for a signing/Q&A event at Memphis’ Davis Kidd Booksellers.
(it should invade your computer with a pop-up player)